"Give me 5 minutes with a man's checkbook, and I'll tell you where his heart is." - Billy Graham
I read an article this morning that highlighted what the AMERICAN church could accomplish if it actually gave 10% of it's income - check it out below (I've bolded the article clip) - but you can read the whole article here - I was very impacted by statistics especially.
The church of today is not great at at giving.
This isn’t exactly news. But it is a statistical fact:
- Tithers make up only 10-25 percent of a normal congregation.
- Only 5 percent of the U.S. tithes, with 80 percent of Americans only giving 2 percent of their income.
- Christians are only giving at 2.5 percent per capita, while during the Great Depression they gave at a 3.3 percent rate.
THE TRUTH IS: GIVING IS A HEART ISSUE, NOT A MONEY ISSUE.
Numbers like that can invoke a lot of guilt, which isn’t really the point. The larger point is what would happen if believers were to increase their giving to a minimum of, let's say, 10 percent. There would be an additional $165 billion for churches to use and distribute. The global impact would be phenomenal. Here's just a few things the Church could do with the kind of money:
- $25 billion could relieve global hunger, starvation and deaths from preventable diseases in five years.
- $12 billion could eliminate illiteracy in five years.
- $15 billion could solve the world’s water and sanitation issues, specifically at places in the world where 1 billion people live on less than $1 per day.
- $1 billion could fully fund all overseas mission work.
- $100 – $110 billion would still be left over for additional ministry expansion.
Those are some amazing numbers.
Okay, me again. Honestly... staggering.
There is so much I could say... so many opinions and personal convictions I could share.
With all my heart, I want to to encourage you to (at a very minimum) begin to honour God by giving 10% of your gross income to your local church. Your local church is the church where God has called YOU to serve and give and be a part of. You are NOT giving to man - you are giving to God.
It's a heart issue really.
Do your actions prove your heart change?
Money is tied to the heart. No doubt about it.
As the church in North America - we could change the world in a year - if we really wanted to.
I think when our hearts change, so will the direction of our money.